Monday, August 11, 2008

"On Top of Mt. Whit-ney...All Covered With..."

I guess everyone celebrated 8-8-08 differently. I chased Connor around the park making sure he didn't escape. My friend Amanda had a baby at 8:08pm (welcome baby Addison!). People watched the opening ceremonies for the Olympics. Ted, Ralph, Gus, Ian, Matt, Pat and some other very manly men decided to celebrate by hiking up and down Mount Whitney for about 13 hours (which for those of you not in the know, is the highest mountain in the contiguous United States at almost 15,000 feet). Gee, that sounds like fun, right? For once I would choose chasing Connor over that option. The park certainly beat waking up at 3am to hike to the mountain in the pitch dark (I asked why you couldn't just park your car and the bottom of the mountain and climb up, but I guess it doesn't work that way), then all the way up just to get a massive altitude headache and nausea to take a few pictures and check it off your "Someday List". Oh, and they had to hike back down, too. Good times.

Well, at least the rest of us just get to look at the pictures and revel at how brave and manly these boys, excuse me, men, really are. Enjoy!

On the way up

At the summit


This is a framer

U-S-A. U-S-A.



1 comment:

Greg said...

Wow. That is a great accomplishment. Congrats guys. Looks like you can see the curvature of the earth from up there!!